Monday, September 17, 2012

T-7

At this time next week I will be attending the first day of flight school in Phoenix. I'm very excited, but also fairly anxious as, until I get there, I don't really know what to expect. I've been spending time studying for the first phase of training every day, and I think I'm ready, but we'll see. The book learning I'm doing now isn't quite "real" until I put it in practice in the plane.

Today I'm having lunch with a guy who just graduated from the program, so I'll have an opportunity to get some solid inside knowledge from someone who's "been there, done that." The rest of the week will be spent getting everything packed up and ready to go. It's hard to believe that on Thursday morning I'll be leaving home and won't be back until November for Thanksgiving.

I've mapped out my route to Phoenix. Since I've taken the I-5 route South numerous times, I decided on a more Easterly route that goes through Nevada. On day one I'll head East on I-90 to Ellensberg, WA, then Southeast on I-84 to Twin Falls, ID. That should take around 10 hours, and I'll spend the night in Twin Falls. Day two will be a straight shot through the Nevada desert on Highway 93, and that should take about nine hours, which leaves the final push to Phoenix on day three continuing on Hwy. 93. My first stop in Phoenix will be at the ATP office at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport to pick up the keys to my apartment. Then I'll head to the apartment to meet my roommates and unpack. I'll have all day Sunday to get settled in, go to the store to pick up anything I forgot to bring, and get ready for training to start at 0800 Monday morning.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

The Woolen Cellar said...

Sounds like you are ready to go! I will be imagining you going through the desert in your Smart Car hoping it won't be too hot and if not, your AC will work really good. So happy about your adventure and I so wish it will everything you hope for!